Target OccupationsDesign, Costume Design, Lighting Design, Scenic Design, Sound Design, Technical Director, Technical, Carpentry, Costume, Imaging/Projection, Lighting, Painters, Props, Sound
WHAT: 2020 URTA Interviews – Design/Tech – Chicago
WHEN: January 22-25, 2020
WHERE: The Palmer House Hilton
REGISTRATION: NOW OPEN
The Interview: In a single day, present your portfolio to more than a dozen MFA programs at once–and attend callback interviews that same afternoon.
NOTE: Design/Tech interviews ONLY happen in Chicago
Preparing Your Display/Portfolio
- Be selective. Portfolios should include the best examples of your work and design capabilities, as well as some of your process.
- Recruiters look for quality, not quantity!
- Remember: your display is YOU!
- Portfolio materials should be clean & presented to their best advantage
- Practice set-up & organization of your table before you attend
- Identify work as a class project or realized production with title, producer (organization or class), and date.
- Leave at least 40 copies of your resume & unofficial copies of your academic transcripts on your table. Include a small photo of yourself.
- There will no be Wi-Fi available in the display hall! Have everything you want to show already downloaded.
View the 2020 Candidate Handbook for more information on how to prepare.
- More information on the URTAs
- Candidate Handbook
- Directory of URTA Member Schools
- Catalog of Satellite Schools
- URTA Candidate Awards
- Continuing Education events
Founded in 1969, the University Resident Theatre Association works to ensure the continued renewal of the American theatre by supporting excellence in the professional training of new artists.
URTA continues to develop programs and services that answer the needs of university theatres, training programs, and individual artists. Whether it’s articulating the highest standards for professional training, helping to match potential students with the MFA program best suited to their needs, facilitating engagement of professional artists at universities, or expanding the scope of our education and career outreach programs, URTA is setting the stage for emerging theatre artists, and professional advancement.