Playbill wants you! As Broadway and theatres around the country take this intermission, we want to make use of this time by opening the doors to the audition room wide open. It’s time for a casting call! If you think you have what it takes to be the next big musical theatre star, submit a self-tape audition singing the song of your choice. We invite performers of a range of ages (16 and up), all races, creeds, gender identities, sexual orientations, shapes, sizes, and backgrounds to submit. The Search for a Star contest is committed to widening the talent pool. All submissions will be judged by a panel of experts and industry professionals, brought to you by Playbill, The Growing Studio, and Stewart/Whitley. Each week, Playbill will post highlights from eligible entries, but at the end of the contest, only one will be crowned Playbill’s Next Musical Theatre Star.
Contest entrants must be:
• A resident of the 50 United States, the District of Columbia, the U.S. Virgin Islands, or Puerto Rico.
• 16 years of age or older; entrants who are 16 or 17 years of age will require an electronic signature from their parent or legal guardian upon submission for consideration.
• Entries made by applicants who are under the legal age of 18 that do not include parent/legal guardian permission will be disqualified.
• Entries will not be accepted from performers who have appeared in a Broadway or Off-Broadway show.
• Entries will not be accepted from performers currently under a recording contract.
HOW TO ENTER
All submissions must be submitted via the Acceptd application. (Click the Submit button below.) Don’t forget to post your video tagging @playbill and using the hashtag #PlaybillStar.
Entrants must submit a video approximately one minute in length of a vocal performance of the song of their choosing. Performers should sing a cappella or to accompaniment (live or via a track credited in the description); lip-sync performances will not be accepted. Attach the file with your video in the Acceptd form. Videos can be in the form of a YouTube link, Instagram post link, or simply an mp4 file.
To be considered, you must include: First and Last Name, Date of Birth, City and State of Residence, Phone Number, Email Address, Song Title and its Original Show Title, Video File Attachment. (Feel free to include links to your posts on YouTube and social media.). Any applicants who fall into the age of 16 or 17 must have a parent and/or legal guardian grant permission for their participation in the contest. The parent and/or legal guardian must provide the following: First and Last Name, Relationship to Applicant, Phone Number, and Email Address. The parent and/or legal guardian will receive email confirmation of your submission.
All applicants must agree to Acceptd’s Terms and Conditions when they sign up for an Acceptd account and must agree to the Contest Rules during the submission process. Any submissions received that do not contain a signed agreement of the Contest Rules will be considered null and void and the applicant’s submission will be disqualified.
Submissions will be accepted beginning 8:00 AM ET July 8, 2020 and ending 11:59 PM ET August 5, 2020.
Videos will be judged by a panel of experts, including Broadway casting directors, directors, choreographers, writers, and performers. Videos will be judged based on the following criteria:
• Vocal Excellence
• Overall Performing Skill Set
• Storytelling Abilities
• Authenticity of Self
• Individual Artistry
• Passion & Originality
The judges will select a Top 10 to be announced on Playbill August 12. The Top 10 will then be judged by the public via online poll on Playbill.com. Voting will open 8:00 AM ET August 12, 2020, and close 8:00 AM ET August 19, 2020.
The Grand Prize winner will be notified via email on or about August 21, 2020. The winner must respond as directed to the notification. Failure to respond in a timely fashion may result in forfeiture of the title and Grand Prize Package.
GRAND PRIZE PACKAGE
One Grand Prize winner will receive:
• A one-on-one casting consultation with the casting office of Stewart/Whitley
• A one-on-one work session with Tony Award-winning director-choreographer Susan Stroman
• A Limitless Class Package from The Growing Studio: an all-access opportunity to work with musical theater and TV/film industry professionals online. This includes access to 30+ classes each week, including one-on-one time with casting directors and talent agents in New York, L.A. and the U.K. Resources include daily vocal warm-ups, movement and fitness, on-camera technique, audition technique, songwriting, and more.
• A guest appearance (interview and performance) on Playbill Live!
• A headshot photoshoot with Playbill’s staff photographer
• A blog feature with Acceptd
• A pair of tickets to a Broadway show of their choice* upon the re-opening of Broadway.
*All Broadway tickets subject to availability. Any production has the right to refuse access to tickets. Restrictions apply to two-part productions such as Harry Potter and the Cursed Child.
TOP 10 PRIZE
The Top 10, as chosen by the judges, will each receive auditions with Tony-winning director Des McAnuff, as well as judges JoAnn M Hunter, Stephanie Klemons, Tony winner Sergio Trujillo, and Tamilla Woodard, for consideration for their individual upcoming projects.*
*Transportation/accommodations to in-person auditions are not included
TERMS & CONDITIONS
All entrants must read and agree to the Terms and Conditions.
QUESTIONS ABOUT THE CONTEST RULES?
Contact Playbill at email@example.com.